Saturday, November 28, 2009

This Christmas...

In Christmas seasons past, I've engaged in the whole political "put the Christ back into Christmas" and "Merry Christmas - not Happy Holidays" thing, but this year it's going to be different.

This year, I'm going to just observe Christmas how I want to observe it. I'm not going to make any political statements, like exclaiming "Merry Christmas" loud enough for an atheist to hear me, nor will I vote on those stupid Facebook polls that ask questions like, "Should we say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?" It's pointless. All it will do is remind me that the world is divided and in the end, I won't really give a crap anyway. Come January 1, 2010, people will be back to their miserable selves and will find another agenda to push besides knocking over nativity scenes and stealing inflatable snowmen from festive lawns.

I'll tell you what I'm really celebrating here. Besides the birth of Jesus Christ, I'm celebrating because I have the liberty to do so in my own way. If that isn't political enough for you then move on, sonny! I want to set the right tone for my son. I want him to grow up celebrating Christmas and enjoying the Christmas season for what it is really meant to symbolize: peace on earth, good will toward your fellow man, happiness that comes with doing good for others out of the kindness of your own heart - not some self-serving agenda, and most importantly celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior, for whom without there would be no salvation to be had. Those are the reasons I celebrate Christmas. And in the spirit of the Christmas Season, I choose to decorate my home with things to remind me of the season and to make my son happy. I do it because it gives me a chance to slow down and reflect on all the blessings I have and the people who are in my life. That's what Christmas is all about to me.

It's not about pushing my point of view on someone else. If someone doesn't like how I observe the holiday season, they don't have to come in my house, don't have to say "Merry Christmas" to me, nor do they have to look at the pretty lights on my house. Hey, I don't celebrate Hanukkah, but if someone says "Happy Hanukkah" to me, I will respond with "Happy Hanukkah" out of kindness and appreciation for their religious holiday. I'm not saying that you have to celebrate Christmas as I do, just because I say "Merry Christmas". I'm just saying that if you won't force your holiday onto me, I won't force mine onto you.

Anyway, so there it is. Merry Christmas, peace on Earth, and Seasons Greetings to all.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment