Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Plot Thickens - More Arrested in Lakewood Officer Shooting

All of these men, and anyone else who aided Clemmons in eluding the police need to be tried as though they committed the act of murder themselves.


LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- Three people accused of helping the suspected gunman in the killing of four Lakewood police officers in a Parkland coffee shop evade police have been arrested. Three people were booked into the Pierce County Jail on Monday and early Tuesday for investigation of rendering criminal assistance on four counts of first-degree murder. They are Ricky Hinton, Eddie Lee Davis and Douglas Edward Davis.

In court Tuesday, Eddie Davis and Douglas Davis both pleaded not guilty. Judge Bryan Chushcoff set bail for Eddie Davis at $700,000 and bail for Douglas Davis at $500,000.Clemmons' half brother, Rickey Hinton, has not been charged yet, but has been booked into jail for investigation of rendering criminal assistance. Chushcoff set his bail at $2 million.

A getaway driver also was arrested, said Det. Ed Troyer with the Pierce County Sheriff's Department. The driver is a man who served time in an Arkansas prison with Clemmons, investigators said. Troyer said Darcus D. Allen is being held in Pierce County for investigation of rendering criminal assistance, and will be charged on Wednesday in connection with Sunday's police shooting.

Allen was sentenced to 25 years in prison for a 1990 double murder at a Little Rock liquor store. He was paroled in 2004.

Arkansas prison spokeswoman Dina Tyler said Allen and Clemmons never shared a cell, but lived in the same barracks - along with 50-100 other inmates - at various times during their imprisonment.

Troyer said while there are four people under arrest now, more arrests could happen as investigators piece together how other people might have helped Clemmons after the shooting.

"We are not going to rest until everyone involved in this murder is brought to justice," Troyer said.

According to court documents, Clemmons had shown two handguns to the three arrested men at his Auburn-area home the night before the shootings and told them he was going to shoot police. He asked for the keys to Hinton's truck. On Sunday morning, detectives said Clemmons returned to the home and told Hinton he had been shot and that he had shot police officers. Hinton gave Clemmons the keys to a white Pontiac and told the Davis' to get Clemmons out of there. Hilton then tossed his cell phone to his 12-year-old son or grandson and told him to start deleting all of Clemmons' phone numbers out of the address book, according to court documents. The Davis' later told detectives that as they drove Clemmons away, he told them he had "taken care of business," the document said.

They went to a friend's home in the Algona/Pacific area where a female relative of Clemmons helped clean treat the gunshot wound to his torso, detectives said. Clemmons changed clothes and put his own clothes into a bag.Clemmons got into a car with the woman while the Davis' got into the Pontiac and they all four headed to the Auburn Super Mall, where they met up with a female friend of Clemmons, documents said.

As Clemmons drove off with that friend, he called friends who lived in the 3800 block of East Superior Street in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood and told him he needed a place to stay and he was bringing a gun, and the residents agreed.

However, police say when those friends called Clemmons' relatives in Algona, they learned Clemmons had been shot and said he had shot some police officers in Tacoma. The residents left the home before Clemmons arrived and drove to the police station to tell police what they learned.

Meanwhile, Clemmons was dropped off at the home. The first Seattle officers arrived and noticed an African-American man on foot near a home and the woman driving away. Police stopped the woman as she was driving away and found a piece of clothing that had a bullet wound in front plus evidence of gauze and bandages, documents said. An 11-hour standoff ensued at the home on Superior Street, but Clemmons had somehow managed to get away.

Officers spent Monday chasing after several leads, but it wasn't until a lone Seattle officer happened upon the stolen car Tuesday that Clemmons was heard from again.

Maurice Clemmons was carrying a handgun he took from one of the dead officers when a Seattle policeman recognized him near a stolen car on Kenyon Street at about 2:45 a.m., Assistant Police Chief Jim Pugel said.

The vehicle was running but unoccupied when the officer pulled up, radioed in the license plate number and realized the car was stolen, Pugel said.As the officer was doing his paperwork, he caught something moving behind him. He turned around and saw a man walking on the street behind his car, approaching the driver's side, police said. The officer got out of his car, immediately recognized the man as Clemmons and ordered him to show his hands and stop.

Clemmons refused, and while the officer was drawing his gun, the man reached into his waist and moved, police said.

"He wouldn't stop," Pugel said. "The officer fired several rounds."

Clemmons was struck at least twice, police said. After Clemmons was pronounced dead, officers found a gun in Clemmons' front pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment