Saturday, January 16, 2010

Welcome Rory

I am happy to announce the birth of Lindsay's and my baby girl, Rory Elizabeth. She was born today, Jan 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM. She weighed in at 6 lbs, 14 oz and was 20 inches long.

It's 11:28 as of this sentence. Rory has been with us for just over 3 hours (well, 9 months and 3 hours for Lindsay). I am happy to say she is doing extremely well. She turned pink almost immediately after exiting the womb and cried out a healthy cry. We are in the recovery room at the hospital, where Mom and Baby are both asleep after nearly 11 hours of labor and delivery. Somehow, I have managed to stay awake during all this, even though I've only had about 1 good hour of sleep in the last 36 hours.

Rory, like her older brother Michael, decided to pull an all-nighter for Lindsay before she made her debut into the world. And what a debut it was! This pregnancy was pretty normal. The labor and delivery were cut and dry and by the book. There were 't any strange anomalies, no serious issues, and certainly no emergency c-sections this time around. Lindsay was a trooper. She delivered Rory using a VBAC method (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean). I'm proud of her for sticking to her guns and insisting on doing this. Yes, there are risks associated with VBAC, but from what I've read, the risks of a repeated c-section are just as bad, if not worse. Besides, I think this was important to Lindsay to prove it to herself. It's a mom thing. Don't ask me.

It gets better too. Apparently, if all is well Sunday morning, we get to take her home. Awesome! No need to stay in the hospital all weekend! That's good because I get cabin fever in places like this. Glad I brought along my computer. :)

I can't wait to see Michael's reaction to Rory. He has poked Lindsay's belly with much curiosity lately, but hasn't made the connection that a new life was being created within the confines of that round ball hanging off Mommy's tummy. I have a feeling Rory will be a big hit with him... until he finds out she hogs a lot of the attention that used to be his. Looks like my job as a weapon of mass distraction is going to go into full force with my boy. Then again, I wouldn't mind holding my baby girl while Lindsay distracts Michael, he he.

It is still surreal to me. I have two children now - one boy and one girl. Sheesh, all I need is a picket fence around my house and a puppy, and I'll have it all!

When Rory's head poked through, Lindsay started crying. The nurses were kind enough to place a mirror so that Lindsay could see all that was happening. I was almost too afraid to look. I saw Michael get pulled out of Lindsay's abdomen when we has born, but hadn't quite experienced watching a baby get pushed out through Lindsay's you-know-what. Finally, I sucked it up and stole a glance and saw just what Lindsay was crying about. Our beautiful baby girl's head was out and not more than a second later, she was all out. She was crying before her head made it all the way. The doctor and nurses immediately placed Rory on Lindsay's chest and let her hold her while they did the initial check of vitals and made sure she was able to breathe. Lindsay held her and cried a lot of tears of joy. As much as I tried to suck it up, I too succumbed to some tears, but you didn't hear it from me!

I decided that since Lindsay didn't get to hold Michael right after he was born, I'd stand by and let her soak this all in. When Michael was born, Lindsay was doped up on some heavy drugs due to the c-section and she was a little hysterical due to it being an emergency after 30 some hours of labor! They gave Michael to me and then spirited both of us away into the recovery room, where I spent about 20 minutes alone with my son before Lindsay came in. Even then, she was so heavily doped up, she really didn't know what was going on. I've always felt bad that Lindsay didn't get to enjoy the first moments of her son's life they way I got to. It was only fair this time that Lindsay get a chance to really hold and enjoy her baby girl while being completely lucid. I knew that there would be plenty of time for me to hold her, so I wasn't in a rush.

Instead, the doctor gave me the opportunity to cut the umbilical cord, which I looked at him and said, "heck yes!"

At the moment, my heart is full. I feel so blessed at this moment that I cannot find the words to express how I feel. I am happy. I am content. It seems to me that the missing piece of our family puzzle is finally in its place. Welcome home Rory. God has blessed you to be born into a home with a family that will love you and cherish you forever. I can speak for Lindsay when I say "We love you". I love you.

-James

1 comment:

  1. James. You are a good writer. I am glad you posted this since I cannot be there with my sister. James you are so good to her and one amazing guy.I am glad she found you, you make her so happy. Your post brought tears to my eyes. There is nothing better then your own children. Rory will definetly be a daddy's girl! Congrats to both of you we sure love you so much
    Love
    Windy

    ReplyDelete