Tuesday, April 13, 2010

10 Day Report - Crossbreed Minituck Holster

A few entries back, I wrote about my desire to purchase the Crossbreed Mini tuck holster for my Ruger LCP. In mid-march, I placed the order for the holster, and patiently waited as my holster was hand made just for me.

On April 3rd, I received my new holster in the mail. I was excited to see it, and could not wait to try it on. I did, however, take a few minutes to give it a good once over and to read the literature that came with it. All of the information was straightforward.

Upon close examination, I found that it would be easy to adjust the holster for different cant, height, and comfort. I decided to give it a shot as is and see if all the hype about this holster's comfort was true. Not more than 15 minutes into wear, I was beginning to see what all the fuss was about.

I've since worn this holster as often as possible and have found it extremely comfortable. It hides my diminutive little LCP extremely well, and true to Crossbreed's claim, I can tuck in a shirt and still have the gun completely concealed without printing.

I messed around with the height adjustment just to see if I'd like the gun to ride a little lower into my pants. So far, not too bad. It hides even more and didn't take but an hour to get used to. So far, I'm having a very difficult time having anything bad to say about it. In fact, I can't really think of anything as of this writing.

Most holsters have apparent drawbacks, especially when used for concealed carry. Normally, you sacrifice the fast draw in favor of deep concealment. I have no problem drawing from this holster rather quickly. I've developed a technique that involves using my left hand to lift the shirt up and away from the rig and firearm. Then with a quick motion, I place my thumb over the top of the gun slide, and my middle and ring finger onto the grip. With a solid lift, I draw the gun from the holster, clearning any garment that may still be in the way during the beginning of the draw. As the gun clears the holster, my trigger finger naturally rests against the trigger guard, and as I bring the gun up to my chest and out to firing position, my support hand comes up and contacts the gun and my strong hand as my thumb then rotates 90 degrees down to the proper position and ready for fire. This is a very quick motion and I can accomplish it in less than a second or so. The gun aims very naturally, and even without the use of sights, I am confident I am on target out to the prescribed defensive range of 7 yards (21 feet).

All in all, I'm really liking the holster. It works well with my LCP and gives me the advantage of a fast and deliberate draw while still maintaining extremely deep concealment and the comfort of knowing I'm carrying my insurance policy around with me.

-James

3 comments:

  1. For $67 bucks, I sure hope you don't have any complaints about it! I would be interested in seeing it up close, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been my experience that with holsters, you get what you pay for. I've had cheap holsters before and they are fine, but after years of concealed carry and many different holsters, I've found that the holsters that ride better, last longer, and are easier to live with cost a few bucks more. My Kramer for my SP101 cost me $115, but it is built like a tank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just picked up a LCP and really want this holster. I have a super tuck for my G26 and LOVE it, but need to be a bit more concealed in summer than I do in winter. But like Jameson said, $67 cost, I want to make sure it's VERY concealed with shirts tucked in, and does not "lump" out my pants like the G26 does. I realize it's a way smaller gun, but still have that "what if" feeling. afterall if it lumps even a little bit, I might as well have my G26 with me. Any chance you will take some photos of your shirt tucked in? Help out my decision?? Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete