Saturday, May 22, 2010

After Much Deliberation...

Those who have been following my blog know that as of late, I have been preparing for my next gun purchase. The debate boiled down to two completely different gun designs offered by Ruger: the LCR and the SR9c.

After a lot of thought, and a lot more research, I have decided to hand it to the Ruger SR9c. Believe it or not, my decision was not based on the automatic verses revolver debate, .357 magnum verses 9mm, or even 5 round capacity verses 10+1. My decision was based on my wife.

You read that right. For this buy, I'm taking my wife into consideration in a big way. At 5' tall, and a sliver over 100 lbs, my wife isn't exactly a big woman. I can wrap my thumb and forefinger around her wrists. When she stands next to me, she only reaches my shoulders. When we walk together, she takes 2 1/2 steps to cover the distance of only 1 of my steps. Needless to say, a 17 ounces .357 magnum would not be an ideal self defense weapon for her.

Wait! For HER?!!!

Cool your jets. This gun isn't for her - not specifically. However, when I look at the arsenal before me, I have noticed that none of my pistols is really ideal for her. My Beretta and full size Ruger SR9, while only 9mm, are too large for her diminutive hands. My .357 magnum Ruger SP101 is out of the question, and my Ruger LCP, being only a .380 still packs a wallop in the recoil department; I guess weighing in at only 9 ounces has something to do with that. The only guns she owns, that she knows she can handle are .22 LR pistols. They aren't exactly powerhouses.

Since I spend a good deal of time away from my wife when I'm at work, I sometimes lament the fact that all of my ideal self-defense pistols are not ideal for her. I'm sure that she could operate a couple of them in a pinch, but what good is a self-defense pistol if you can't get a good grip on it? That being said, the tie-breaker in this decision boils down to whether or not she can handle the weapon.

I had previously taken the opportunity to go to the local gun shop and feel a LCR in my hand. I liked it. It pointed naturally for me, and helped me develop a taste for the design. It seemed only fair to get a SR9c into my hands before pulling the trigger on my decision (pun intended).

The SR9c comes with two magazines: a 10 rounds concealed carry mag and a 17 round reload magazine. The gun also comes with a standard flat magazine plate or an extended plate for those with larger hands. The 17 round reload magazine comes with a grip adapter that slides in place to give a bigger grip area and provide more comfort. Of course, for ideal concealed carry, the flat plate is preferred, but in the case of comfort, I really liked the extended finger groove. The 17 round magazine with the grip adapter gave me the familiar SR9 grip.

I've also decided that for the purposes of concealed carry, I'm going to go with the brushed stainless model - not the blackened alloy steel. The reason is that any finished material will eventually wear off from holster use. I also like stainless guns for concealed carry because sweat and other moisture on the body take their toll on a weapon. As for stealth, as long as the stainless gun is under a garment, who's gonna know?

I liked the feel of the stubby little SR9c in my hand. The shortened slide, featuring forward serrations for better grip, is the same in other dimensions as the full size SR9. The SR9c isn't some midget version of it's full size counterpart. It's just been bobbed in two places to make concealed carry viable. As such, Ruger didn't have to reinvent the wheel to produce this weapon.

Another benefit of going the SR9c route is the interchangeability of critical parts. Additionally, any 17 round SR9 magazine should fit the SR9c. This means that, aside from a few compact 10 round magazines, I won't have to buy a whole new set of magazines for the gun.

So, that's the decision, in a nutshell. My holster of choice for this is going to be a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe, and hopefully, I'll be carrying this sucker by next fall!

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment