Friday, July 16, 2010

Out of Gas... Really?!

Three times this week, I saw stalled cars on the side of the road with no owner in sight.  Then a little ways down the highway, I saw a lone person walking toward the closest off ramp... with a gas can.

How does this happen?  Do people actually run out of gas on the highway?  I figured that people would use a little common sense and put gas in the tank BEFORE it ran dry. 

I have never ran out of gas on the street or freeway or whatever.  The closest I ever came was when I was 16 years old and car my died at the pump.  But other than that, I've never had to walk any distance to get fuel for my vehicle.  If ever in doubt, I've always brought a couple of jerry cans with me just in case, but have never needed them.  I've found that in my travels, I've never been more than a few miles from any gas station, even out in the mountains.  I think the furthest I've been from a fuel stop in the Cascades has been about 40 miles.  I can tell you that even my gas guzzling truck will go more than 40 miles before running out of fuel.

What is so hard about fueling up?  You know you're going to have to do it anyway, so why not put gas in your tank before you run out?  The only thing I can figure is that these types of people are morons.  The irony is that they have a gas can in their car with no gas!  Um, how about putting a little fuel in that gas can while you are topping off your tank?  DUH!

-James

2 comments:

  1. Some folks like to test the limits of their ability to read a fuel gauge. Unfortunately, they bet that they will win and make it to the pump before the bottom of the tank is dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a stupid bet to me. I fill my tank when it reaches 1/2. That's E to me.

    ReplyDelete