Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Pocket Holster



The Pocket Holster


In recent years, it seems that ultra-compact pocket .380’s have really cornered the market when it comes to deep concealment. Many people are choosing to put their large caliber, large frame guns in the safe and switch to carrying something a lot more versatile, such as the Ruger LCP. The reason is simple: when a .380 can be slipped into your pocket and easily concealed even on the hottest of days, it beats a .45 left in your truck.

When I purchased the Ruger LCP, I had two goals in mind for it, both related to concealed carry. The first goal was to have a small backup gun to compliment my more powerful Ruger SP101. The second goal was to have something really small for concealed carry on hot days that call for little more than a t-shirt, shorts, sandals, and sunglasses. There aren’t many places to hide a larger gun when your choice of wardrobe caters to hot days in the sun.

Enter the pocket holster; not just any holster. This holster is ThePocketHolster, offered by ThePocketHolster; the company’s name and the holster and one and the same. At first, it looks like any other pocket holster on the market, and you’re probably wondering why anyone would take the time to write about something as boring as another pocket holster for a small .380 pistol.

Well friends, the reasons behind this review are easy to understand. I like this pocket holster. I’ve seen other holsters online and have posted my questions in the forums, such as elsiepeaforum.com and while there are a lot of other holsters on the market. I waited patiently for a holster that would fit my needs based on the following: simplicity, quality, price, and ease of use.

ThePocketHolster’s offering made my day when I first saw the picture of it online. Finally, here is a holster that I could buy. Of course, purchasing holsters for concealed carry is a very personal choice, so I’m not going to debate the differences in brands, prices, and such. What I will do is focus on ThePocketHolster itself and explain why I like this model.

First off, it is leather. Leather is tough, flexible and versatile. Plus, it just looks good. It is one-piece construction, molded to fit the gun you are buying it for. It is held together with two metal grommets, which also act as mounting points for the optional anti-print panel. My model has no stitching that can come loose and there are no other parts that can fall off. It is a really simple design. In my world of concealed carry, simple reigns supreme. Simplicity equals reliability, and this holster is dripping with commonsense simplicity. The leather is thin and flexible, which adds to its ability to conceal well without sacrificing strength.

The holster features a lot of redundant retention points to keep the gun inside the holster when not needed. The trigger guard area is used as a retention point, as well as the area where the trigger guard meets the grip. The trigger area is raised so it does not interfere with the trigger. This holster will not affect the trigger when holstering or drawing; that is a good safety consideration. Other places that offer additional retention are the slide area on both sides of the exposed barrel. They are indented to help hold the gun in place. The holster also features raised points at the takedown pin and the slide release to also help out. Plus, it looks dang good this way. I did a shake test with the open end of the holster down with my LCP inside. No matter how vigorously I shook the holster, the gun did not come out. The test wasn’t to see how much for it would take to get the pistol to fall out; I’m sure if I banged it against my shop vice, I could have flung my gun across the garage. The point was that during normal carry, it doesn’t appear that the gun is just going to fall out of the holster. That is good news for you active folks out there.

The holster’s retention is great for keeping the gun in the holster, but what about drawing? The back of the holster is flared a bit to give some purchase for your thumb during a draw. Just push against it with your thumb when pulling out the gun and it’ll come out. The holster also provides a full grip for the weapon so you do not sacrifice your own safety; you have a firm grip on the weapon. Another thing to aid in the draw is that the holster is designed with a hook on the bottom. That part is two-fold: it keeps the holster from shifting around in your pocket and grabs the pocket liner on the draw, leaving the holster in the pocket when you present your firearm. Re-holstering the gun is easy while leaving the holster in the pocket as well.

Another thing about this holster is that the magazine won’t just release on you. I tried unsuccessfully to release the magazine while the gun was holstered and just could not activate the button. That insurance makes me confident in the reliability of this holster and that I won’t draw a gun with a magazine that will fall out.

ThePocketHolster also sells an anti-print panel for the holster, which is removable and reversible. The holster itself is the same on either side. What makes it right handed or left handed is the orientation of the flat panel. It is mounted using the metal grommets on the holster as well as some screws, which are rounded and won’t snag or tear your clothing. The panel has the same grommets on opposing sides, allowing you to switch sides quickly and easily. The panel can be removed and installed in less than 30 seconds. I find the ability to remove the panel a good thing because for rear pocket carry, or inside a jacket, I’m going to want the panel. For front pocket carry in my jeans or khaki’s, I just want the holster without the panel; it cuts down on bulk this way. This versatility gives me options for carry, and I like options. The panel is also thin and flexible, which will help it mold to the inside of your pocket; it makes the holster look like a normal wallet.

ThePocketHolster has advertised the same model of their holster with provisions for the Crimson Trace, as well as the Armalaser. So, for those of you, who have a laser on your LCP or P3AT, fear not! ThePocketHolster has you covered. If all that isn’t enough, go to www.thepocketholster.com and look at the dizzying selection of colors. My holster came in Bison Brown, which is a nice classic brown, but you can get them in coal black (smooth side or rough side out), Timber Brown, Yellow, Cranberry, Blue, Green, and even Scarlet. Their website features a model with decorative stitching around it as well.

Overall, I think ThePocketHolster is a good quality product, and it is handmade in the USA. It is KISS simple, durable, flexible, and the price isn’t bad either. If you are in the market for a good pocket holster, then you might want to check out www.thepocketholster.com and see what they have to offer.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment