Monday, November 29, 2010

Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe: Update

On October 8, 2010, I received my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe inside-the-waistband holster in the mail.  Now, nearly two months later, I have worn this holster everyday with my Ruger SR9c.  Since I enjoy reading feedback on different products that others have purchased, I decided to input some of my own for this most excellent holster.

As I said above, I bought this for use with my Ruger SR9c as a concealed carry setup.  The combination of the SR9c and the Crossbreed Supertuck are a match made in Heaven.  The Crossbreed supports this 1 lb 12 oz gun very well with the two widely spaced metal belt clips.  They distribute the load of the weapon over a broad area, which helps to keep the gun in place and not move.  Trust me when I say that this gun does not shift position at all when I'm carrying it.  The large patch of leather provides structural rigidity for the kydex to hold onto and helps to retain the pistol against the body without sacrificing comfort. 

The kydex on my holster had good retention from the factory, but I wanted just a bit more.  So, armed with a hair dryer, and a lot of patience, I was able mold it to better suit my retention preference.  When I draw the pistol, I just give it a firm tug and the gun releases completely and draws very smoothly.  Yet when it is retained within the confines of the holster, it does not drop out.  I can shake the snot out of it and it won't drop, even fully loaded.

Now, before you think that messing with the kydex is a bad thing, understand that Crossbreed actually sends you instructions on how to adjust the retention yourself, or you can send it back to them and they will adjust it for you.  Kydex is really easy to work with and to mold with nothing more than a folded towel against the firearm.  The only reason I adjusted mine is because I wanted more retention so the gun would not fall out when sitting in seats, getting into or out of a car, etc etc.  I have no doubt it would stay put the way it came, but Crossbreed understands that people have different retention preferences and it is nice to have the ability to alter it without affecting the return policy.

I've experimented with different locations of carry, from 3 o'clock to about 4:30.  I've found that hiding it behind my kidney at 4:30 works the best for this particular gun.  Your mileage may vary, as mine does with my LCP in a Crossbreed minituck.  a quarter after 3 o'clock works best for that gun.  Either way, each weapon is different, so your carry method will vary with each design.

My holster came with horsehide leather, but dyed cowhide is available.  I chose horsehide because it is more durable than cowhide and will hold up against the perspiration of my body more effectively.  Plus, I like the natural look of the horsehide with this holster.  Over time, the leather conforms to the shape of the individual wearing it and the leather tends to hold the shape, even after the holster is removed and stored.  This conformity adds to the overall comfort of the rig and also helps keep it in place.  Lastly, on the leather, it provides a good cushion between the firearm and the user.  This is a key benefit because I have owned holsters that allowed the barrel, cylinder, and frame of my Ruger SP101 to dig into my body.  This does not happen with the Crossbreed holster.

The Crossbreed holster is adjustable too.  While I have not experimented with adjustment for my SR9c, I have done so with the Crossbreed Minituck for my LCP.  The Supertuck comes with the clips in the middle position on the holster, but you can unscrew them and move the clips up and down in predrilled holes or even offset them for different cant.  The neutral position for the Supertuck is more or less a FBI cant, which positions the gun so that the barrel and slide face backward slightly.  This is beneficial because the grip doesn't stick out the back as far as it would if the barrel and slide were oriented straight down.  If you desire more or less forward/backward cant, you can adjust it easily. 

As far as comfort goes, if I was to rate this on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a solid 9 1/2 up to a 10, ten of course being extremely comfortable.  When I'm out and about, the holster provides the comfort and support needed to keep the gun in place and I'm not constantly fidgeting with the rig.  Occasionally, I need to hike the gun and holster up, but I also need a better belt.  The belt I have is sturdy, but I'd like something a bit thicker and stronger.  But pulling up on the belt is just something guys do.  We tend to adjust ourselves, so pulling up on the belt doesn't attract unwanted attention.  I've also found that the tighter you keep the belt, the better the rig stays in place. 

All in all, I'm a huge fan of these holsters.  They aren't the prettiest things in the world, but then again, they aren't designed to be shown off.  They are designed for concealment and they do a good job at that.  For more information on Crossbreed holsters, go to http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/.

-James

2 comments:

  1. James- I have the crosspointe laser on my SR9C. Do you foresee any with fitting into the crossbreed ? - Sham

    ReplyDelete
  2. My initial impression is that Mark, over at Crossbreed, might not punch out this design simply because there are too many variations of lights and laser combinations, but it wouldn't hurt to shoot him an email. There is also the possibility that you could heat up the kydex to fit your specific application. I've done this to increase retention by using a hair dryer and a towel to press it. The kydex tends to balloon up when it gets hot. I'd just be worried about your sensitive laser and SR9c under all that heat.

    -James

    ReplyDelete