Sunday, December 26, 2010

Eye On The Prize

You are probably thinking to yourself, "Those are really big guns" and you'd be right.  These are the Ruger Super Redhawk revolvers, and they aren't built for people who have recoil-phobia.  These guns are so big that the venerable 44 magnum is considered the lightweight cartridge offered for this lineup.  Offered in this line is the aforementioned 44 magnum and the completely insane 454 Casull cartridge.  The 454 is the mack daddy of Ruger's Super Redhawk lineup. 

At the end of the Century Club Challenge awaits one of these guns.  I have already decided on the cartridge I want - the 454 Casull.  The question is which gun do I really want, the 7.5" Super Redhawk or the 2.5" Super Redhawk Alaskan?

Looking at the reloading tables makes me immediately think to myself "Go for the 7.5" barrel!"  Just look at these numbers!

300 Grain XTP Bullet, loaded with 27.6gr of charge will travel at 1168 feet per second.  At the max of 28gr of powder, it could possibly hit 1700 fps.  Going with something more conservative, like a 250 grain Barnes X bullet will net you 1725 fps with 27.5gr of charge.  Loading it up hot can get it over 1785 fps.  That's one fast moving, really heavy bullet!  Even the lightweight 185gr XTP will go 2001 fps with a starting charge of 26.6gr.  Loaded up to its max, the potential is an out of this world 2159 feet per second... from a pistol!  At this speed, it's knocking on the back door of a 150 grain 30-30 round.  Yes, a 185gr 454 from a pistol can get going as fast as a 150 grain 30-30... from a rifle!  Amazing!

The shorter, 2.5" barrel on the Alaskan won't be able to match the speed and power from its longer barreled cousin, but consider that there is only a 10% reduction in speed (and 20% reduction in energy) from a gun that has had its barrel cut down by over 60%.  That's not a bad trade for a gun that is a bit more convenient to carry than the long barrel version.

And this gun will be for carry.  The Redhawk Alaskan was designed for the exact purpose I want; carry.  I'm not planning on concealed carrying this firearm.  This is for the outdoors, when I'm in the deep woods, where my chances of running into large wild critters is more likely than running into another human.  This fact, however, does not dissuade me, however, from getting the 7.5" barreled version of the gun, as anything can be carried if you plan it right.  Holster choice makes a huge difference and will play a large role in determining which gun I decide on.

All in all, either one of these guns is a worthy prize, worthy of the Century Club Challenge.  As I continue to research these firearms, I will eventually come to a conclusion as to which will be best suited for me.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment