Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fallkniven A1


It's time to talk about sharp pointy things.  Wait, James, you never write about knives!  I know, right?  Betcha didn't think I even own a knife, yeah?

Well, truth be told, I do have an appreciation for finely crafted knives, but honestly, I beat the piss out of my knives so much that I could never justify spending a lot of money on a high quality knife... until today.

What I've posted up above is the Fallkniven model A1 survival knife.  This dude is a high value knife that I will have no problem shelling out some good money for.  Okay, so what's so special about it?  Well, knife choice and what you consider high value are up to you, but for me, having a full tang knife with a laminated VG10 steel blade, coming in at over 6" long and a quarter inch thick is worthwhile.  That's right.  This blade is thicker than a truck frame!  Overall weight is just about 12 ounces.  Yeah, it's a heavy knife, but it's also extremely useful, given it's dimensions. 

For lightweight backpacking, carrying a huge knife, with say a 10" blade can get tiring and cumbersome.  The Fallkniven's 6"+ blade is perfect for most all of my survival needs.  It's small enough to be used as a good camp knife, all purpose knife, etc, and it's thick blade makes it great for batoning firewood.  Yeah, yeah, I know.  If I want to chop wood, I could just bring an axe, right?  Sure, I'm with you on that.  But remember that when it comes to a knife like the Fallkniven (and I'm stealing this from Nutnfancy when I say this), I am looking for mobility versus firepower.  An axe is great at camp, or when I don't need to go light and fast, but for backpacking out in the woods, I prefer the mobility of a good solid knife that can be used to cut firewood as a field expedient need.

Now back to the blade.  The steel is laminated with a VG10 core, which is really really hard, so the knife is extremely durable.  The overall corrosion of the stainless steel blade should not be overlooked either.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, we are known for our fair share of rain, so stainless steel is hard to beat.  Additionally, the Fallkniven A1 can be ordered with a CeraCoat, which will reduce the reflectiveness of the knife and help in corrosion resistance.  The knife handle is Kraton, which is a good handle.  I like it.

Price for this bad boy is a little on the high side: about $150 for the bright stainless and about $175 for the CeraCoated knife.  I don't know which I like more.  I like the black because it looks plain cool, but I think the bright stainless would wear better and look nicer after use.  I can just see that CeraCoat wearing off after tearing through a bunch of logs in the field.

For more information about Fallkniven knives, check out their website at: http://www.fallkniven.com/

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment