Saturday, June 11, 2011

Batoning Wood With The Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife



I had to go over to my dad's house today and help him saw up the last of the wood left over from this gigantic tree he had chopped down. With limbs and branches the size of small trees, we had our work cut out for us. After finishing up the task at hand, I remembered that my Fallkniven A1 survival knife was in my truck. Funny, the FLIP camera was also there. This gave me an idea.

I had only batoned wood a couple of times before, but never on camera. I figured that going after a piece of unseasoned Douglas Fir might be a good little test for this knife. So, I took a small round and made kindling out of it.

It really wasn't that strenuous at all, and I prefer this method over a hatchet any day. It's akin to conducting open heart surgery with a scalpel vs. a sledgehammer. The knife did a great job of making small pieces that would help get any fire going. The best part is that there was no swinging blade and I didn't break a sweat.

-James

2 comments:

  1. A little tap to get it started?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I come from, that is a little tap. :)

    ReplyDelete