Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Watch For Updates!

Kevin Next to The 550lb GM 14 Bolt Rear Axle

Everyone thinks that I have nothing but guns on the brain, but that just isn't true.  For awhile, I took a hiatus from shooting, and focused on turning my 1990 Dodge Ramcharger into something as bad-azz as it looks.  It's been a couple of years since the Raminatrix has received any attention, so I bought it a present; a new set of axles.

Well, "new" is such a relative term.  These axles are off a 1973 Chevy 3/4 ton truck.  Wait!  Chevy axles?  You got it!  How many Ramchargers have you seen sporting a GM 14 bolt in the rear?  Not many I'd imagine.  This 550 lb hunk of iron came at the right price, and it will be easily modified to suit my needs.  Though my needs are few, This axle comes with two of them already in place: full floating axle shafts and 4.10:1 gears.  Before it goes under my truck, it will receive a disc brake conversion (to shave approx 100 lbs from it).  Eventually, a locker will be installed, but I need to upgrade my wheels and tires to make it work.

So, what of the front?  It's simply a Dana 44 with the same 8-lug bolt pattern on the hubs as the rear.  It also has 4:10:1 gears.  Additionally, the CAD (central axle disconnect) is non-existant on it.  Instead, it utilizes manual locking hubs at each wheel end, which is what I want as well.  Another bonus is that the tie rod and axle have integrated brackets for a steering stabilizer shock (the axle on my Ramcharger also has a steering stabilizer, but I had to install the brackets with u-bolts; kind of ghetto-fabulous).

The new axles will be sending power out to 35" tall tires, which have yet to be determined, and will feature 16" wheels, which are also to be determined.  I think the most expensive part of this upgrade will be the tires and wheels.  The front axle will remain stock, for the most part.  Upgraded axle u-joints and better locking hubs are on the menu for it.

Stay tuned for this, as these axles are cleaned, prepped and installed under the Raminatrix.

Why Raminatrix?  Because, the Ramcharger's fuel economy, like The Matrix, doesn't really exist. 

-James  

No comments:

Post a Comment