Monday, October 31, 2011

Dismissed

Today, I took time off work to head in to traffic court.  Yes, they had finally sent me a court date, long after the ticket I received, which was July 5, 2011.  I had plenty of time to prepare and research, and discovered that the RCW cited by the police officer was the wrong one.  I don't recall the RCW number exactly, but it covered right of way at an uncontrolled intersection - not a u-turn.

After 45 minutes of sitting in the courtroom, watching moron after moron dispute violations like driving with no insurance, licenses, talking on cellphones, and even someone arguing that they admitted they were speeding, but that they were doing a legal maneuver to get over onto a freeway on ramp at the last minute... and plenty of face palms, it was my turn.

The judge called my name, rattled off the case number and the violation cited.  I gave the judge plenty of time to read the police report and so forth, and I could see he looked a little perplexed.  He looked at me and said, "Do you have a statement to make regarding this?"

"Yes sir, I do." was my reply.  I gave him the reader's digest version of what happened, (reference my entry titled My Ramcharger Has a Broken Leg).  I then pointed out that I researched the RCW in which the officer cited me for, and stated that it does not apply to this case.  The judge pulled out the big book of RCW's and took a look.  He then looked at me, stamped my docket, and said, "It appears the officer cited the wrong RCW for this ticket, and as a result, I am dismissing it."

"Thank you, your Honor" was my reply.

Dismissed!

Ha!

Suck it!

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment