Saturday, January 21, 2012

Leatherman OHT

Leatherman OHT
Just in time for my birthday this year, available this fall is the Leatherman OHT (One Hand Tool).  This 4 1/2", 9.9 oz dude features 17 different functions and boasts a wicked awesome look to boot!

Functions:


  1. Spring-action Needle nose Pliers
  2. Spring-action Regular Pliers
  3. Spring-action 154CM Replaceable Wire Cutters
  4. Spring-action 154CM Replaceable Hard-wire Cutters
  5. 420HC Knife
  6. 420HC Serrated Knife
  7. Phillips Screwdriver
  8. Small Screwdriver
  9. Medium Screwdriver
  10. Large Screwdriver
  11. Saw
  12. Strap Cutter
  13. Can Opener
  14. Bottle Opener
  15. Oxygen Tank Wrench
  16. #8-32 Cleaning Rod Attachment
  17. Integrated Lanyard Attachments


The knife, which actually sees the least amount of use on my Leatherman tools, is 420HC steel, which is decent, but I'd pay more for AUS-8, which would hold an edge better.  However, since I never hack or stab with the large knives on my tools, I can live with 420HC.

What really seals the deal for me is that black oxide type treatment over the stainless steel body.  It looks killer!  I also like the details on the main body itself.  You can see they engraved icons to show which main tool is where on each side.  I'm not sure if that adds much more function to the tool, but it looks sick!

I also like the replaceable blades on the wire cutters.  One of the reasons my old school Wave doesn't see a lot of cutting action is that the cutters are not replaceable.

As an urbanite, myself, I think the thoughtful additions of an oxygen tank wrench, strap cutter, and the spring loaded pliers are nice touches.  I'm really digging the spring loaded pliers on my new Wingman, so having them on something a bit larger, like the OHT is a definite bonus.

The cleaning rod attachment is a peculiar function.  The only other tools I recall this being on are the MUT and the Supertool 300.  Even on those, I can't quite fathom how you are supposed to clean a gun barrel with them.  If anyone knows, please comment below, as I'd be interested in learning.  All the same, I have a lot of guns, so a cleaning rod adapter is a welcomed addition.

But wait, there's more!  Not only does Leatherman intend to release an all black OHT, but they snuck a picture of a tan one on Facebook.

Tan Leatherman OHT
Oh, Leatherman, why must you torture me so?  I can't decide which one I like better.  With a MSRP of $85, I can't afford both, so I'm going to have to pick one.  The problem is that I really like them both.  One way or another, one of these dudes is going to find itself in my load out because they are just AWESOME!

-James

2 comments:

  1. As far as firearm cleaning, I believe a rod is screwed into the threads on the OHT with a brush on the other end of the rod. The OHT acts as a handle so you can get a grip the rod and push it down the barrel

    ReplyDelete