Monday, March 19, 2012

Ruger 10/22 Problem Found... I Think

Years ago, I traded a stripped Olympic Arms AR15 lower straight across for a Ruger 10/22 carbine.  Back in those days, it was brand new and wore a synthetic stock.  I replaced that with a wooden take-off that my gunsmith gave me.  Thousands of rounds later, I started to experience some extraction issues: double feeds, stove pipes, etc.  At first, it only happened during rapid fire, but then it started with slow fire.  Can't get through a single magazine without a failure.  Back when the BX-25 magazine came out, I bought it hoping to solve my problem.  It didn't. Well, after my last trip out with it, I decided to tear it down and see if I could find the culprit; and I did.

On the picture to the left, you can see the bolt assembly for my Ruger 10/22. Now, I've been known to disassemble a few guns and do some mods here and there, but rarely ever have I had to actually diagnose and make repairs to them.  Upon close inspection, the problem jumped out at me, or so I believe it has.  The extractor is rolled over and won't even hold a round against the bolt face, much less extract the spent cartridge properly.  Being as this component is a $2 part at shopruger.com, and is made of stamped steel, it's not exactly a high tolerance component.  I did find out that the MK III pistol and 10/22 rifle share the same extractor.  So, if I really wanted to, I could swap them and see if the problem follows the extractor.  I could also swap entire bolt carrier assemblies between my 10/22 and my wife's 10/22 CRR, but since a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor is only $12, I ordered it and will put it in and see how the gun shoots.  I can't get any worse than it is now.  That much I'll say.

Here's a video of the jam caught.  It's at the end.  If you look closely, you can see the double feed.


-James

No comments:

Post a Comment