Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ruger 22/45 - FINALLY!!!

Looky, looky what followed me home today!  Finally, after a year and a half of nothing but talk, I finally took delivery on a new mule gun.  What I ended up with was the Ruger 22/45 target pistol.

originally, I was interested in the shorter barreled slabside variant, but in the end, the longer sight radius and heavier barrel won out in my decision.  I also had two very strict requirements that were not negotiable: removable grip panels and the ability to remove the magazine disconnect.  Those who've followed my blog already know about my disdain for magazine disconnects.

Being as this is a range gun, I wasn't interested in removing the magazine disconnect so I could get that vital .22 round off, but for a few other reasons.  First off, my reason for removing the mag disconnect is for consistency. With a training pistol, I'm attempting to best emulate the other pistols I own while still being able to shoot cheap ammo.  If my fighting guns don't have magazine disconnects, then I don't want my training gun to have one.  It's all about training as if it were live.  If I become accustomed to working around a magazine disconnect with a training pistol that'll receive thousands and thousands of rounds a year, then it will translate right over to my guns that were either never equipped with them or have had theirs removed.  I don't want that.  I don't want to have to think.  I just want to be able to fall back on my level of training and go with it.

Secondly, with the MKIII pistols, that magazine presents an issue with disassembly and reassembly.  Part of the take down and assembly procedures require you to pull the trigger at times to move the hammer and remove tension from the main spring.  Without a magazine inserted and removed after each trigger pull, you can't get the gun apart.  What a pain in the @$$!  I should be able to remove the mag and get down to business.  So by removing the magazine disconnect, I have eliminated some complication from the procedure as well as a cumbersome headache.  Now, the gun can be disassembled in the same fashion as the MKII pistol.  Note: I will post a separate entry dedicated to the removal of the magazine disconnect.

Lastly, the magazine disconnect puts pressure on the back of the magazine.  This means that when you press the magazine release, the magazine stays in the mag well.  WHAT?!  Yeah, you have to press the release button and then reach up and strip the magazine from the weapon with your reaction hand.  That adds more unnecessary movements to the emergency magazine change drill, which will translate directly to the real thing.  I don't want that.  With the magazine disconnect removed, the magazine falls freely away once I push the release button.  That's how these things are supposed to work.

  
With the lawyer's wet dream device removed from the pistol, the next part was to address the grips.  The factory wood grips are beautiful!  Unfortunately, it neither matched my taste or style of shooting.  I bought this gun because it is 1/2 ounce lighter than my Beretta M9A1, give or take, depending on your scale.  The heavy barrel gives it a lot of that weight and for me, it helps point the gun very naturally.  It feels much like a Beretta M9A1 in terms of balance and feel, especially since my M9A1 has a flashlight mounted under the frame.  While the grip frame of the 22/45 isn't as fat as the Beretta frame, the addition of Hogue grips with the finger grooves in the front give both weapons a similar feel, and let me tell you, it's very comfortable.

I have some friends that are interested in shooting some new acquisitions of their own this weekend, so I might get in some range time with this beast.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment