Tuesday, May 1, 2012

He's Just a Little Boy


I saw this bullshit on facebook today, and came uncorked.  Here was my response:

Pff!  Next thing is not keeping score.  Man up!  This isn't a game.  This is training for the real world.  The problem isn't the boos and hisses from the audience; that's to be expected in any sport.  The problem is the protectionist do gooders who suck the life out of healthy competition by posting nonsense like this on a fence.  These people run around thinking their children will be scarred for life because it wasn't handed to little Tommy on a silver platter.  Life isn't fair; it never has been.  Sooner or later, little Tommy is going to grow up and he won't have the benefit of these do gooders trying to protect him from the reality of the world.  At some point Tommy is going to be Tom, and he's going to have to be a man.  If Tommy can't take a little ribbing and a little healthy competition, then perhaps it's time to throw in the towel and do something else... or he could grin and bear it for awhile while Dad gives him an approving nod to let him know it's okay to make mistakes; it's called learning.  "Deal with it son."  Tommy learns to take his licks at a young age and grows up with a thick skin.  Now that's real life experience right there, and that is effective parenting and support in competitive sports, which translates into other facets of life.  The protectionist do gooders would rob little boys of this fantastic learning and growth opportunity, and for what?  So Tommy doesn't get his feelings hurt?  So they'd rather steal good life lessons from him because it makes them feel better about their own insecurities?  How's that going to work when Tommy decides to join the Army, or attend business college, or run a multi-million dollar conglomerate?  Oh too soon to learn valuable life lessons in little league?  I say there is never too soon an opportunity to learn.

-James

4 comments:

  1. Well the good news is that the sign wont change a thing. People will still give him a heavy dose of life's lessons, no matter what. I suppose that's a life lesson in and of itself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be, but at least I'm not a coward who posts anonymous insults on the internet, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is James as well. My son plays in North Boise Little League in Boise, ID. I am not here to throw out insults or call names, either. I actually agree with your points, in theory. I have an 11 year old son, and while not the strongest, biggest or otherwise best player, he is a natural athlete that excels at most sports he tries. The problem I have with your black and white view of this is one of development. These kids are in little league to develop their skills and learn the game. They are (by virtue of their parents, generally) paying to be in the game. They are not the Mark McGuires and Sammy Sosa’s of the world., they are kids. And from my vantage they are enjoying the game.
    The problem comes when parents, parents’ friends and others decide to be too hard on them. Now mind you, I am a hard-ass on my own kids. But, I know them best, I am able to teach them the best. I think. I don’t need others calling out things to my son on the field demeaning him for not hitting the ball, or not pitching correctly. He is a kid. His life is a learning process and he is at the start of it.
    Don’t think that I am a “protectionist do-gooder” I am a parent. I am not sheltering them from the hurts of the world, trust me they have enough without an A$$H073 booing them at a game. I know all too well the realities of the world, and so do my kids, they have hurts and fears just like the rest of us, growing a thicker skin won’t help that. And quitting the league because people keep booing them won’t help either.

    ReplyDelete